Price from: 30 € /PP
This tour is perfect for those who love nature. The Cenu Mire is beautiful in every season - in winter when hundreds of raised bog pools (in area of 0.5-2ha) are frozen and everything is covered by snow; in spring when you can see birds arriving and whole nature wakes up; in summer when you can see how green everything is; in autumn when the nature reserve becomes important resting place for cranes and geese can reach even several hundreds.
- One of the 273 nature reserves of Latvia
- One of the 366 Natura 2000 sites of Latvia
- One of the 71 Internationally important Bird areas of Latvia
- Established in 1999
- Total area 2133 ha
- Started to develop 5 000 – 6 000 years ago
- Maximum depth of peat – 5.75 meters
Mires are areas of a size no less than 1 ha, including forests, with at least 0.3 m thick peat layer. Such areas cover 10.7% (690,000 ha) of the territory of Latvia. Latvia takes the 8th place in the world as to the volume of peat resources per capita. Peat production takes place just in 25,000 ha or in approx. 3.2% of the total area of peatlands. In 2016 1.3 million tons of peat was exported to 104 countries, in value of 130 million EUR.
The Cena Mire has 6 km long plank-way leading along the peat extraction fields, raised bog pools, Skaists Lake (with a great number of small islands), the viewing platforms, information boards and benches.
- Established as Soviet army officers` village nearby the Riga International airport
- Village has only one street with Soviet time block buildings, elementary school, a stadium and…. a Soviet-era jet bomber, the IL-28, which supposedly was equipped to carry winged missiles.
This tour is covered by a standard car or a 9seat van to keep the groups small.
Please dress according to the weather and wear proper shoes for walking. Possibility to hire Nordic walking poles and binoculars (please inform us in advance).